12 Powerful Lessons From The Book The Brain The Story of You
In this article we will learn about 12 Powerful Lessons From The Book The Brain The Story of You
- If you could perceive reality as it is, you would be shocked by its colorless, odorless, tasteless silence. Outside your brain, there is just energy and matter.
- The enemy of memory isn’t time; it’s other memories.
- All the experiences in your life- from single conversations to your broader culture- shape the microscopic details of your brain. Neurally speaking, who you are depends on where you’ve been.
- Each of us is on our own trajectory – steered by our genes and our experiences – and as a result every brain has a different internal life. Brains are as unique as snowflakes.
- You become who you are not because of what grows in your brain, but because of what is removed.
- Why does the world appear stable to you when you’re looking at it? Why doesn’t it appear as jerky and nauseating as the poorly filmed video? Here’s why: your internal model operates under the assumption that the world outside is stable.
- We should think of our lives like chariots. We are charioteers trying to hold two horses: the white horse of reason and the black horse of passion. Your job is to keep control of both horses, navigating down the middle of the road.
- Although you have a single identity, you’re not of a single mind: instead, you are a collection of many competing drives. By understanding how choices battle it out in the brain, we can learn to make better decisions for ourselves, and for our society.
- We can’t help but simulate others, connect with others, care about others, because we’re hardwired to be social creatures.
- Through practice, repeated signals have been passed along neural networks, strengthening synapses and thereby burning the skill into the circuitry.
- Our brains are always crushing ambiguity into choices.
- Our perception of reality has less to do with what’s happening out there, and more to do with what’s happening inside our brain.
Follow Asad Rana – SEO Surgeon for more on skills, habits and technology.